Thursday, July 3, 2008

True beauty & a bridal bouquet

Bill Donaghy of The Heart of Things posted about Dove's Self-Esteem Project and "True Beauty" advertising campaign yesterday - I encourage you to read his excellent thoughts about interior beauty. I mention Bill's post not only because I also applaud what Dove is doing to help women appreciate their unique gifts, but because he references a verse which I recently encountered in very creative presentation.

"Your adornment should...[be]...the hidden character of the heart, expressed in the imperishable beauty of a gentle and calm disposition, which is precious in the sight of God." 1 Peter 3:3-4
In June David and I attended a lovely wedding and reception. When it came time for the bride to throw her bouquet, all the single ladies gathered on the dance floor. What the bride sent flying towards their open arms was not her bouquet or a simpler stand-in. Instead, she tossed twenty or more individual flowers (daisies?) to which she had tied little pieces of paper. The verse from 1 Peter 3 was printed on each paper, encouraging its recipient to cultivate her true beauty.

The bride came up with this idea on her own - isn't it wonderful? I intend to recommend it to friends planning for their weddings. What a lovely way to affirm all the young women attending your wedding and point them towards virtue and grace, those wonderful attributes which not only attract fine young men but also please the Lord!

2 comments:

Diane said...

I love this idea!

Anonymous said...

Really a good idea.. I too love fresh and beautiful flowers.