Thursday, March 20, 2008

Anticipating Good Friday

I have been looking forward to Good Friday for a week. During the Stations of the Cross last Friday I found myself daydreaming (I know, shame on me) about how I would observe Good Friday. One thing was certain: I would watch The Passion of the Christ again, as I have the past three Good Fridays.

I saw it when it came out in theatres; it took me hours to recover, though I don't know if I've ever fully recovered. The vivid depictions took me to a new level of understanding and appreciation of Jesus' suffering and death on the cross. The anguish, the betrayal, the pain, the mockery, the indifference...he endured it all because of me.

How strange - through the brutality, the blood, the dirt, and my own tears, I realize, again and again, how much I sin AND how much God loves me. I am ready for another dose of that!

Bill Donaghy has been posting an awesome series of reflections on scenes from The Passion. I highly recommend them - and his blog.

No comments: